Survivor Conversation 001: Maranda’s Story
Trigger Warning: Content includes experiences of child sexual abuse
Join us with Maranda as she shares her journey as a child sexual abuse survivor for the first time with the Relentless Project. She shares about how she’s grown up in an unpredictable home, and how she’s been able to finally break free from a trying history of recurrent abuse at the age of 8.
If you feel like you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else, please call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-273-8255 or RAINN’s hotline 1-800-656-4673. I have also listed numerous resources on my website that include online chat hotlines. You do not have to go through this alone.
Please note that I am not a licensed or trained therapist or counselor. This podcast is a free resource using existing literature and nonprofit resources available online, dedicated to a community of sexual assault survivors. If you are able, finding therapy or counseling is a valuable component to healing from sexual assault/abuse.
- 00:00 – 04:57 Introduction
- 04:57 – 0:39 How child sexual abuse has affected Maranda growing up
- 10:20 – 11:44 Shame & Misplaced Fault
- 11:44 – 29:09 The recurrent sexual abuse
- Revisiting your story & patience with self
- 29:10 – 43:08 The discovery of the abuse & the aftermath
- 43:09 – 48:32 Struggling with depression, therapy, lack of a support system
- 48:33 – 1:19:34 Retrospective thoughts
- 48:33 – 50:09 Question: What would you tell your 9-year old self?
- 50:10 – 51:29 Having patience and showing compassion with your younger self
- 51:30 – 53:58 Question: Things that you’ve learned about yourself, now that you’re uncovering your own history?
- 53:58 – 57:29 Question: Who taught you the most about love?
- 57:30 – 1:04:59 Maranda’s mom
- 1:05:00 – 1:17:36 Healing later in life, Letting go of her mom
- 1:17:37 – 1:19:34 Question: What advise would you give to someone who has been through similar circumstances?
- 1:19:52 – 1:22:22 Outro & Relentless Project Updates
- I’m still here! I have been releasing episodes at a slower frequency (yay grad school), but this winter break has given me plenty of opportunity to create more content
- If you want to leave a comment on this episode, leave one on the episode post through our Instagram account @relentlessjoanna
- If you too would like to share your story on the Relentless Project just like Maranda, send me a private message through our Instagram account @relentlessjoanna
Lastly, Is there anything that I’ve missed? If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you helped me make this the best for you, and leave an honest comment :).
Until next time…Stay Relentless.